Call for Papers / Designs for the 2013 SYMPOSIUM April 19-21, 2013 at the University of Minnesota, St. Paul
July 7, 2012 2 Comments
This symposium connects fashion to Social Responsibility. Through a series of scholarly presentations, panel discussions, design presentations, the symposium participants will explore, define, and document the interconnections between fashion and social responsibility.
The symposium has an inclusive definition of the term “fashion”. While fashion is often understood to center on apparel choices, fashion can be recognized as the current style or aesthetic choice in any design field. Proposals are welcome from divergent fields such as architecture, anthropology, cultural studies, history, interior design, graphic design, psychology, sociology, and women’s studies.
Participation is invited in this symposium by submitting a written abstract or a design. Best submissions will be considered for inclusion in focused issues of journals including Fashion Practice: The Journal of Design, Creative Process and the Fashion Industry as well as for a book Fashion and Health.
Topics may include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Social responsibility in design practice
- Issues related to social responsibility in design
- Cross-cultural views on social responsibility in design
- Customer views of socially responsible design businesses
- Considerations of any aspect of production within design industries and social responsibility
- Innovative teaching concerning social responsibility within design fields
- Historical views on social responsibility (e.g., dress reform movements)
- Socially responsible consumption
- Socially responsible designs
- Socially responsible marketing/selling of design
- Marketing images and social responsibility
- Social values and design
- Socially responsible design materials
Symposium formats will include poster sessions, concurrent individual presentations [15 minutes], plenary sessions [60 minutes], and panel or collaborative presentations.
February 1, 2013: Notice of acceptance emailed and release of copy write forms sent to authors. Online registration opens [general $200; students $100]
February 15, 2013: Copyright forms due to email@example.com
March 15, 2013: Draft of symposium program posted on symposium website (below)
April 1, 2013: Hotel room reservations due [unreserved rooms released]
April 8, 2013: Online registration closes (early bird rates)
April 19-21, 2013: Symposium (on site registration cash or check only)
See the conference website for further information: