AIGA Design Educators Conference (Portland September 2014): Call for Panel Abstracts
March 21, 2014 1 Comment
NEW VENTURES: INTERSECTIONS IN DESIGN EDUCATION
Call for Panel Abstracts
Dates: September 11–13, 2014
Location: Portland, Oregon
Abstract Submission Deadline: April 11, 2014 — 5:00 pm (PST)
New ventures are propelling design educators and students to re-think how, where and what types of experiences best serve a design education in the 21st century.
- How does a program’s location within a school, college or university create broader opportunities for learning as well as more defined, discipline specific learning?
- What potential collaborations occur when new partners emerge?
- How do different student cultures work together? (i.e. business, engineering and graphic design students).
- How can faculty from different disciplines co-create a new model of design education?
From the creation of new types of graduate programs (DMBA), to the physical creation of design think tanks and venture accelerator programs on campuses — a new landscape of collaboration, intersection and adventure is quickly emerging.
Join fellow design educator and professionals in the vibrant design community of Portland, Oregon for two inspiring days of exciting intersections in the form of panel sessions, poster presentations, a juried student show, and lively conversation!
ABSTRACT SUBMISSION DEADLINE
April 11, 2014 — 5:00 pm (PST)
NEW VENTURES: INTERSECTIONS IN DESIGN PANEL THEMES
03_New Pedagogical Models
06_Classrooms: Visual Communication + Ecology
08_Approaches To Teaching Critical Thinking
09_The Creative Campus
10_Public And Private College Design Programs
18_Great Change: Sustaining Innovation In The Tidal Shift
Click here for a PDF of Panel Theme Descriptions (please note this is a 6 page document)
PANEL ABSTRACT INFORMATION
The conference is divided into 19 panel sessions. Each panel includes up to four speakers and is organized by the moderator who proposed the session theme. Panel themes and their moderators were chosen through a blind-jury process. This call is for individuals interested in presenting a paper on one of the panels listed above. All panel abstracts will be reviewed through a blind jury process and organized by each of the panel moderators.
You do not need to be an AIGA member to submit and participate in this conference. Each person may only submit one abstract. Panel session proposals must be written in English and include the following:
- A concise abstract of 300 words or less, formatted on a single-size/A4 page. Longer proposals will not be accepted.
- Please do not include any information on the proposal page that identifies you or the institution you are affiliated with.
- Proposals submitted as PDF’s via email to email@example.com
- PDF files should be labeled in the following way: 00_NewVentures _RSmith.pdf(the 00_ refers to the panel session number you are proposing to be part of).
- If you think your abstract fits into more then one panel theme, you may list up to 2 other panel themes at the top of your abstract. Please indicate with the theme’s number in parenthesis like this: (03,19) The conference steering committee reserves the right to move a proposed panel into another session, if the committee feels it is more appropriate.
If you have questions about panel abstract proposal submissions, please contact:
Andrea Marks at firstname.lastname@example.org or
Christine Gallagher at email@example.com
IMPORTANT CONFERENCE SUBMISSION DEADLINES
March 17th Call for Panel Session Abstracts
April 11th Abstracts received by 5:00pm (PST)
May 9th Notification of Panel Session Abstracts acceptance
June 20th Accepted abstracts submit full papers with all images
See more at: http://educators.aiga.org/call-for-panel-abstracts/